Stabilizer Tests on Muslin

Did a few tests on my Brother SE400. Right now I have 3 different stabilizers: tear-away, cut-away, and wash-away. I ran some test designs using the tear away and cut away on muslin, without adhesive spray.

The designs I chose are from Urban Threads, and have a mixture of fill, satin, and straight stitches.

Sew out on heavy weight cutaway stabilizer

Sew out on heavy weight cutaway stabilizer

On tear-away stabilizer

On tear-away stabilizer

 

The differences between the two stitch outs aren’t huge, but the cut-away stabilizer is definitely a little cleaner.

Stabilizer-BunnyHead

Note the top of the bunny’s head, which is decidedly wobblier

The intersection of the two designs has a little more push out on the tearaway

The intersection of the two designs has a little more shifting on the tearaway

There’s considerably more shifting on the tearaway, and I’m not sure how much of that is my poor hooping. I find it really hard to get the fabric taut without distorting it.

The next set of tests I run will use adhesive to secure the fabric to the stabilizer. The downside of the adhesive is that it creates a gummy mess if you aren’t careful.

Filed under: Crafting

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *