The design was done in QCAD, and inexpensive CAD program. I started using QCAD after I got frustrated with Corel Draw. QCAD has a steep-ish learning curve. Here’s what I did to get the irregular octagonal shape. Command-line commands are in italics:
- Make a rectangle to the desired exterior dimensions (3×2 in this case) linerectangle
- Bevel each corner (lengths 1 and 3 set to 0.33″) bevel [x 4]
- Round each vertex (radius 0.1″) round [x 8]
- Select All selectall
- Create a new polyline from the segments og
- Draw an equidistant polyline (distance -0.25) oq
The source for the box is available in SVG format, download the box here.